Dienstag, 3. Juli 2012

An omelet of disease awaits your noontime meal


Wait, another ineloquent blogger writing a tribute page on THE MISFITS? I'm trying to keep this short: THE MISFITS are probably my favorite punk rock band. From setting new standards artwork and cult wise to the phenomena Glenn Danzig itself, this band was (!) just perfect. Like most of the good bands I'm listening to nowadays I got into the Misfits way too late, like about two years ago. I always loved “Halloween” and its huge amount of cover versions but somehow never put a complete Misfits album on my playlist. That changed however one summer when the only CD around in my girlfriend's kitchen was her “Collection I”. I was hooked. Nearly every song on that compilation is a classic with especially “Hollywood Babylon”, “Where eagles dare”, “London dungeon” and “Mommy, can I go out & kill tonight?” standing out as pure captures of the atmosphere this band has created. 



Their group of themes is just something I can deeply relate to: Aliens, zombies, mummies, vampires, homicide, comics, bloodcurdling places and all other kinds of bestiality. That's what I love in thinking about the 80s, everything just seems to fit together concerning the atmosphere. When listening to the Misfits, impressions of movies like “Nightmare on Elm Street”, “Fright Night” or “Pet Sematary” immediately shoot through my brain and create this kind of coloring that could be a mixture of the illustrations for Stephen King's “Werewolf Cycle” and the Creepshow comics.




After checking out the actual albums of the band, “Static Age” is my definite favorite. Listen to “TV casualty” and try not to sing-along to it while wearing sun-glasses...

Regarding Danzig's later band projects, I like SAMHAIN better than DANZIG. I guess this is a natural consequence if you dig the Misfits because Danzig is far more advanced and tries to explore other aspects of music, too. Samhains “Initium” EP has this perfect song “All Murder, all guts, all fun” on it that should and could have been a Misfits song. Last year I was trying to put together a horror themed fanzine with the song title as its name. I wanted to include writings on Danzig's bands as well as THE CRAMPS, THE METEORS or THE NEKROMANTIX plus a lot of jabbering on horror movies. I didn't finish it (actually I only cut & pasted the front cover) but maybe I'll get something done until this year's Halloween (which obviously would be the perfect date to release this kind of a zine...)
Their LP “November coming fire” includes some really strange songs like “Birthright”, “Unbridled” or “Human Pony Girl” that are weirding me out a bit. But then again, you've got bangers like “Mother of mercy” or “Let the day begin” (which is my actual alarm ringtone). If just the cover would be cooler. The font makes it look like the artwork of some high school band... Nevertheless, the handful of promo pictures of them that I've found are some of the most stylistic and raddest.



I once got sent a pretty cool Misfits tribute zine by a girl called Kate Galvin. She also made one about the DESCENDENTS but it was sold out by the time I tried to order it. However, the zine included some historical background on the band as well as lyrics explanations, a trivia of the Danzig/Only beef and even a little Danzig poster (note, this is a A5 zine). Just telling, maybe you should be out to search for a copy...


Listening to: (obviously) Misfits - Collection I & Night Birds - The other side of darkness

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen